Saturday, August 28, 2010

on your mark, get set, go

well, i've taken up running - if you can call it that. i'm pretty slow! i've never been a runner. even in high school when i used to run 2 miles every other day in the summer, i was at the back of the pack. and today, nothing's really changed. i even found out that my dad runs faster than me! now there's some motivation! :)

you may ask why i'm running if i loathe it so. well, it's like this. first, it's great exercise and gets my heart rate up in no time at all. second, it's the fastest way for me to shed these extra baby pounds, and finally, i really want to be a runner, i think!

i do enjoy some aspects of running like the fact that i generally think about nothing as i run and the sense of accomplishment when i'm finished. i do like to push myself to run a bit faster each time too. lately, that's been working. i run anywhere from 2-3.5 miles at a time. saturday, september 11th is my big debut - i'm running my first 5k with a group. my goal is to not come in last. i guess if i do though i must remember my initial words - i just want to run one. i don't care if i get last. i'm thinking i'll be able to do it a bit faster than my daily runs because it's on the high school track (extremely boring, yes) but there aren't any hills. my town is a hilly one, so it's great for practice, but i'm glad my first attempt will be on flat ground. plus, i get a t-shirt out of the deal. the whole reason to run, right?!

who knows, maybe one day i'll run a 1/2 marathon. probably not, but it's fun to think i will. but maybe i will, if i become a runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment