Sunday, December 22, 2013

That moment when something's supposed to go great and it doesn't...Christmas cookie edition

Today I planned to make christmas cookies with Molly and Sophie. We do it every year and it's something we all look forward to. I thought everything was going to go great. I found a wonderful sugar cookie recipe on bettycrocker.com and set to make them during Miles' nap. We made the dough. It was wonderful raw...with 4 sticks of butter and 3 cups of powdered sugar almond and vanilla extract what's not to like? Fast forward  2 1/2 hours and the dough is chilled. We've eaten dinner, Miles was happy; let's make cookies! Wrong! The dough is hard. When I tried to press the rolling pin, it crumbled. So I let it sit out for a bit. Now it's just as hard only dry. So I added milk (not in the recipe by the way). Then it was sticky. But with a little (or a lot) of extra flour to roll the dough out they worked. It was a slow process though because I had to keep reflouring and rolling the dough out for the girls. They tend to roll too thin and well, thin and the whole sticky dough thing don't work well. 

            


            

I also have to add that this time Miles was not happy. He cried, screamed most times, throughout. 
           

Needless to say, my nerves were shot. But the cookies are done (and the best sugar cookies I've ever made). I just hope frosting them goes smoother....

          

But this is life. And I'm glad that we finished. I did have a fleeting thought pass through my head that we could just buy Santa Christmas cookies. So glad I didn't entertain that thought. Making christmas cookies is one of my favorite christmas memories growing up and I want to pass that along to my children too.





No comments:

Post a Comment