Friday, May 8, 2015

Donuts

Who doesn't like donuts? I mean, they are delicious and when you eat one, it's hard to just eat one. You've gotta have at least 2. The cream filled are some of my favorites but I also like a good glazed as well. The trouble with donuts is they are terribly unhealthy and not so waist-line friendly.  Miles is obsessed with donuts. He thinks they should be a staple in his diet. He asks for donuts all the time. I usually buy a package at Aldi once a week. They're only $1.89 for 15 and are decent. Not Krispy Kreme, but they work. This week I decided to buy a donut pan so I could make my own. Miles was  excited and expected donuts the minute we walked out of the store. 

We made our first batch that evening and they tasted like chocolate cake. Matt even asked if I used a box cake mix to make them. So good. But still, not healthy. Last night I set out to make them healthier and they are still good. Not quite as good but the kids didn't seem to mind. Miles is currently eating his 4th! 

            

I'll post the original recipe at the bottom but here is what did.

1c flour (next time I'm using whole wheat. I was out of it last night.)
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 c cocoa 
1/4 c sugar
Mix together

1 egg
1/4 c milk
6T plain greek yogurt 
1/2 t vanilla 
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce 
Mix together

Mix all together. Put in donut pan and bake for 8 min. 

I used a powdered sugar, milk, vanilla glaze after they were completely cooled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment