Monday, June 21, 2010

lucky to have a dad like you

i feel very blessed to have a dad like i do! he's the greatest and such an important part of my life. my dad, since the day i was born, has made it his priority to see that i was raised in a godly home and grow up to serve my God. my dad has set such a great example of how to live for Christ and have Christ as the center of your life. i not only learned about Christ through my dad's life, but through his ministry in the church. i was blessed to have him be my youth leader and pastor throughout middle and high school, and now still get to hear him preach on many occasions.
throughout my life, my dad has always been there for me and goes above and beyond what he has to do. he made a point to get to as many volleyball and basketball games, track meets, choir concerts, and other performances i had throughout school. i'm truly grateful to have a dad who was there for me, supporting me, even when sometimes i just sat the bench. i'm thankful for a dad who traveled down to emporia while i was in college numerous time because of car trouble and then lent me his car, as well as drove in a terrible ice/snow storm when i had intestinal flu and had to go to the e.r. he got a hotel room for us that night and then took care of talking to my professors and rescheduling my finals for the day.

my dad has been a part of the big events in my life as well. he was on the school board when i graduated from high school and gave me my diploma and probably the most memorable one was when he married matt and i. not many brides get to have their dad marry them. it was a very special time.

growing up i always complained that my dad was too strict and had too many rules. life wasn't fair between the ages of about 13-18 in my book. but, now that i'm a parent, i look back on all the rules and consequences of breaking the rules and i see how important they were and are. i know it's because of those rules and strong christian up bringing that i was able to stay out of trouble in high school and college, make good decisions and not fall into the wrong crowd. had my dad been a little looser, who knows? so thanks for making my life seem miserable at the time! it was worth it! : )

now that i'm old and married, okay, not really old, i still know that i can always look to my dad for advice and guidance and know that he will still do anything he possibly can for me and my family. and he has and does. there have been many times he'll come out to help fix things around the house, watch my kids, feed us dinner, and so much more.

my dad is a wonderful father and grandfather. my girls are lucky to have a grandpa like him. happy fathers day dad! i love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment